Inspire, Ignite, Empower
Become a Big!
We are so excited that you’re interested in joining our squad as a Big Brother or Big Sister! It’s truly a fun, life-changing volunteer opportunity that gives the invaluable gift of friendship. Becoming a mentor through Big Brothers Big Sisters is an awesome experience and has a big impact - youth involved in our program have higher confidence, feel an increased sense of belonging, and are even 52% less likely to skip school!
As a Big Brother or Big Sister, you will meet with your Little two to four times a month doing fun activities in the community! Go to the museum, library, beach, roller rink, the movies, or out for ice cream! Work on specific goals set by your Little and their Parent - help them ace that next test at school, boost their confidence, or work on their basketball skills! Our staff provides ongoing support throughout your match journey to offer coaching, monitor for safety, give tips, share resources, and answer any questions that may arise.
- Community Bigs must be at least 18 years old with a valid driver’s license, insurance, and a reliable vehicle to transport yourself and your Little.
- School based Bigs must be in high-school and at least 14 years old.
- Commit to a minimum of one year as a Big.
- Commit to meeting with your Little regularly, about 2-4 times/month, with a minimum of 4 hours/month for the first year.
- Communicate with your Little and their Parent Guardian or Important Adult to plan outings.
- Maintain monthly communication with Big Brothers Big Sisters Match Support Specialist - let us know how the match is going!
- Be YOU!
1. Submit your online application. If you aren’t ready to submit the application, fill out the interest form below and we will reach out to answer any questions you might have.
2. Schedule your one-on-one volunteer interview and orientation.
3. Submit your references & undergo a background check.
4. Approved? Get matched with a Little!
5. Meet your Little and their Parent Guardian/Important Adult in a Match Introductory Meeting, run by a member of our staff.
6. Make plans for your first outing together as a match!
School-based Mentor Program
“It may sound obvious, but the best place to help a child realize their potential is at school. Kids enjoy having their Bigs meet with them there, whether it’s, in the classroom, lunch or on the playground. And parents know what a positive impact it makes. Bigs and littles get together on their own to talk and share fun activities they both enjoy. Matches typically meet for 45 mins to an hour once a week”.
Community Based Mentor Program
“This is the traditional Big Brothers Big Sisters relationship, where Bigs and Littles get together and go out into the community to do fun activities they both enjoy. We ask for a minimum of two monthly visits, which work around your schedule and the Littles”.
Need More Information?
Complete this brief interest form, and a member of our enrollment team will follow up with you to answer any questions you may have! We also have more information over on our FAQ page.